Wednesday, 24 February 2016 00:00

Maite Uribe a pilgrim at the Shrine of El Cobre

EL COBRE, SANTIAGO DE CUBA, Cuba. 
On her first visit to the island of Cuba, the President of the Teresian Association went to the Shrine of El Cobre, and before the Patroness of all Cubans she presented the evangelizing work that members of this International Association of Laity hold in the diocese of Holguin, Cuba.

0224-2

The pilgrimage to the National Shrine of El Cobre, located about 20 kilometers from the city of Santiago de Cuba, was part of a trip made from the city of Holguin, to the city of San Salvador de Bayamo, in the Province of Granmma , southwest of the eastern region of Cuba, a city founded by the Spaniards in 1513.

0224-1It was in this area, in a section called Demajagua, when on October 10th, 1868, Carlos Manuel de Céspedes and Francisco del Castillo declared independence and granted freedom to their slaves, thus initiating the independence movement on the island. The Cuban National Anthem was sung for the first time in this city.

Five members of the Teresian Association, founded by St. Pedro Poveda in 1911, accompanied the President on her visit which began February 17th.

Maite Uribe and her companions visited the Cathedral, the Chapel of Los Dolores, and the House of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes. They greeted the bishop of the Bayamo-Manzanillo Diocese, Mons. Alvaro Beyra, and continued their pilgrimage to El Cobre where they had a meeting with the Archbishop of Santiago de Cuba, Mons. Dionisio Garcia Ibanez. Afterwards they visited the Cathedral of Santiago de Cuba.

0224-3

On their way back to Holguin, they stopped at the Shrine of Barajagua, the first settlement in which the image of the “Virgen de la Caridad” was honored after having been found in 1612 floating in the waters of the Nipe Bay, located in the northern area of the Holguin province. On the altar of this temple, still under construction, a relic of St. Pedro Poveda, a priest and martyr of the 20th century, will be placed. Maite Uribe presented the relic to the Bishop of Holguin, Mgr. Emilio Aranguren Echeverria, during her visit.

Araceli Cantero Guibert. From El Cobre, Cuba

INFORMATION DEPARTMENT

C/ Príncipe de Vergara, 88. 28006 Madrid, ESPAÑA

 

 

Top